A Bushfire Still Burning in Sydney's West is Being Treated as Suspicious

Share

Residents in Sydney's south-west are breathing a sigh of relief after a severe bushfire that has burnt more than 2,400 hectares eased overnight.

Exhausted firefighters are facing another "challenging and difficult" day battling a bushfire, believed to have been deliberately lit, that is still burning out of control south of Sydney.

Adding, "While the threat has eased, it is still a fairly vigilant fire ground and we want people to remain vigilant".

The fire, which started at about 2.30pm on Saturday, has blackened more than 2400 hectares and continues to burn towards Barden Ridge.

The blaze was downgraded from watch-and-act to advice about 2am on Monday.

RFS spokesman Greg Allan said on Sunday some properties had been damaged.

"It is absolutely miraculous that we have not lost any lives and virtually no property and this is because of the hard work and dedication and heroism of our fire services", the state's acting Emergency Services Minister Mark Speakman told reporters Monday.

"Residents in Illawong, Bangor and Picnic Point are experiencing ember attack and should continue to monitor for any new spot fires in the affected areas".

More than 500 firefighters faced walls of fire, fanned by 70 km/h wind gusts on the city's southern fringe on Sunday and through the night.


Westerly winds are expected to pick up again on Monday afternoon but will not be as extreme as conditions at the weekend.

NSW RFS Deputy Commissioner Rob Rogers said two giant aircraft, the DC10 Nancybird and the C130 Hercules "Thor" - normally used for aerial water bombing - were not available to help fight the Sydney fire.

While no buildings have been destroyed, homes are under imminent threat.

"Still quite a hard day ahead (on Monday)", he told Nine Network.

"I think we've got a long way to go before we're out of the woods".

The RFS is now advising residents in Pleasure Point, Sandy Point, Alfords Point, Barden Ridge, Voyager Point, Illawong, Menai & Bangor to "remain vigilant throughout the day and keep themselves up to date by checking the NSW RFS website".

Police believe the fire may have been lit on objective and are appealing for witnesses to contact them.

The Transport Management Centre said Heathcote Road remained closed between New Illawarra Road and Macarthur Drive, and there was no forecast for when the road would be reopened.

Share