PlayStation 5 Release Date At Least A Couple Of Years Away

Share

Plans do change for projects such as this, and Sony would be on the lookout for the ideal time.

Rumours that the PlayStation 5 is coming this year are well off-base, according to Kotaku.

Two sources who are familiar with Sony's plans for the PS5 said that it is unlikely to release in 2019, let alone 2018.

Most of the developers Schreier spoke with did not hear anything about plans for a new PlayStation, including employees at Sony's first-party studios and studios working on games scheduled for 2019 and beyond.

The dev kit part could be accurate, suggesting we're getting good lead time on game development which in turn could mean some seriously high quality, well-developed games due for release when the PS5 does arrive.


Last week, SemiAccurate claimed that Sony had shipped a large number of PS5 development kits to game developers.

PlayStation fans are expecting that Sony will introduce a brand new PlayStation console very soon, as nearly five years have passed since the company launched the PlayStation 4. The publication added that the console would launch in 2018.

What's even more telling is the fact that many people in the industry aren't talking about the PlayStation 5 at all or are otherwise seemingly unaware of it. In that case, there would have been supply chain leaks all over the place. As such, even if there are any such devkits they may be well disguised. Assuming the PS5 maintains a PC-style architecture (which is easier for developers to makes games for), it's more possible that we'll see backwards compatibility for PS4 games when the PS5 rolls around. As it stands, the earliest release date for the PlayStation 5 at this moment seems to be sometime in the year 2020.

Meanwhile, Wedbush Securities analyst Michael Pachter told WCCFTech that there was "very low probability" of the PS5 releasing this year.

Rocketcat Games and Madgarden have announced that Death Road To Canada will be heading to PlayStation 4, Xbox One and Switch later this month. To be precise, he says there is 75% probability it would launch in 2020 and 25% probability of a PlayStation 5 release date in 2019.

Share