Greece halts Superleague after boss takes gun onto pitch


Adding to the confusion, the Associated Press reports that Kominis may have actually allowed the goal.

Local media in Athens has reported that an arrest warrant has been issued against Savvidis following the incident, as well as four other people who stormed the pitch.

Deputy Minister for Sport, Giorgos Vasiliadis, announced the decision after meeting for several hours with Prime Minister Alexis Tsipras on Monday afternoon.

The game was tied at 0-0 when Fernando Varela scored in the last minute, only for the officials to rule the goal out for offside, leading to Savvidis marching onto the pitch.

It is not illegal to carry a licensed gun in Greece but Savvidis was escorted off the pitch by security.

"It won't start again unless there is a clear framework, agreed by all, to move forward with conditions and rules", he said in quotes obtained from the BBC.

"We did not worry to begin with but afterwards when you see the gun you think 'if he was going to do something insane he could have taken it out".

"We will not allow anybody to deter us from this path, even if tough decisions are required in consultation with UEFA". It said it "fully condemns such behaviour" but would not able to discipline the club and/or Savvidis as that is under the "jurisdiction of the Greek FA".

Greek soccer has been beset by violence both on and off the pitch. He carries weapons as he has a permission for it.

Savvidis, who took over PAOK in 2012, is a Russian-Greek businessman born in Georgia during the Soviet era who made his money with the privatization of a cigarette factory in southern Russia in the 1990s.

The Greek Superleague has been suspended indefinitely following the remarkable scenes that forced Sunday's title clash between PAOK and AEK Athens to be ended early.

As per the Superleague's website, the AEK Athens team were still the table-toppers with 55 points, Olympiacos on the second spot with 53 points, and PAOK Salonika on the third spot with 50 points.

It was actually the second time Savvides had invaded the pitch during the match.