Off-duty Chicago police officer shot at downtown building


A high-ranking Chicago police officer was killed Tuesday afternoon at the Thompson Center administrative building downtown while assisting a tactical team that was chasing a suspect, police said.

Cmdr. Paul Bauer, 53, went after a suspect who had an altercation with other officers and escaped, police Superintendent Eddie Johnson said.

Bauer was off-duty at a training session at the Thompson Center when he heard on police radio that a suspect had run from tactical officers who were trying to question the man.

"It is a hard day for us, but we will get through it", Johnson said outside the hospital where Bauer was taken. Officers Anthony Morelli, 54, and Eric Joering, 39, were shot and killed by a man, police say, shouldn't have been able to have a gun due to felony convictions. Paul Bauer was shot to death at the Thompson Center, Tuesday afternoon, February 13, 2018.

Johnson said he had a wife and daughter.

Then a captain, Bauer (left) inspects officers at an outdoor roll call on East Hubbard Street on March 9, 2016. She said she could not tell if either was an officer.

Chicago Mayor Rahm Emmanuel also extended his condolences.

Bauer's last moments appeared to be captured over police scanner traffic as officers scouted the area for the suspect.

In Chicago, some people who saw the immediate aftermath of the shooting described a confused scene with people yelling and police swarming the area.

"I just ask the citizens of this city to keep the Bauer family in their prayers", he said.

Officers on site immediately issued a radio warning, and provided a description of the perpetrator. "It was just hysteria", she said. Bauer during his frequent "Coffee with the Commander" meetings at nearby Eva's Cafe and at her Art on Sedgwick storefront.

"It's hard for me today, yes, because once you build that rapport with someone, not to say that the next person that comes along wont have the same rapport, but you never know". We will provide additional details as they come. When they tried to speak to him, a physical struggle took place and he escaped, CBS News reported. "Oh s--. Squad, I need somebody over here ASAP", one of the responding officers said, according to the Tribune.