Turkish military says another soldier killed in Syria

Share

Eastern Ghouta was one of several so-called de-escalation zones agreed past year by three of the main outside players in the conflict - Turkey, Iran and Russian Federation.

Soon after, twin strikes hit the town of Erbin, where two dozen people were killed on Thursday.

"Children in eastern Ghouta are being starved, bombed and trapped", said Sonia Khush, Save the Children's Syria Response Director.

Rescue teams rushed to Jisreen and pulled three children and a woman out of the rubble.

The official said no U.S. troops had been killed or wounded in the attack, which was carried out by about 500 fighters, but one Syrian fighter allied with the coalition was wounded.

"They warned us before they launched the aircraft they were going to do it, in consultation with us", he said.

An estimated 400,000 people live under a suffocating government-imposed siege, which has made food and medicine almost impossible to access.

At least 59 civilians, including 15 children are reported to have been killed and 139 injured in a new wave of Syrian government air strikes on a besieged rebel enclave near Damascus. "We're at war", Erdoğan said.


A spokesman for the coalition claimed that the strikes were in self-defense, and that the pro-Syrian government force launched a well-supported attack against the positions of the Syrian Democratic Forces (SDF).

In a letter addressed to the United Nations secretary-general, the Syrian Foreign Ministry described the strike a "war crime" and called for the coalition to be dismantled, Syrian state news agency Sana said.

It accused the United States of using "the excuse of fighting terrorism to set up illegitimate bases on Syrian territory".

Russia's U.N. Ambassador Vassily Nebenzia says he will raise the USA -led coalition's deadly airstrike on Syrian government-backed troops during closed consultations later Thursday in the U.N. Security Council.

Bozdağ slammed some USA soldiers for having pictures taken with People's Protection Units (YPG) militants.

The Israeli Defence Ministry rarely comments on media reports of its military activities, but has publicly admitted to having struck Hezbollah convoys and other targets in Syria with Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu saying that strikes will continue when "we have information and operational feasibility". She added that around 60,000 had been displaced.

"That is not realistic", Russian Ambassador Vassily Nebenzia said at the UN.

It said the incident "again showed that the U.S.is maintaining its illegal presence in Syria not to fight the Islamic State group, but to seize and hold Syrian economic assets".

Share