19 killed, dozens hurt in HK bus crash

Share

At least 18 people were killed on Saturday after a double-decker bus overturned in China's Hong Kong Special Administrative Region (SAR). The bus had been taking passengers from Sha Tin Racecourse to Tai Po.

Most of the dead and injured were on the upper deck of the bus, Chan Hing-yu of the fire department told reporters.

KMB general manager Godwin So Wai-kei said the 30-year-old unidentified driver joined the company in 2014 and had driven the route before. "He is still being detained for further enquiries".

In an updated toll in the early hours of Sunday morning the city's Hospital Authority said another victim had died, bringing the total to 19 fatalities. The man was sober and didn't require medical treatment after the crash. It said the driver, who joined the company in 2014 and started working part-time past year, had had sufficient rest before beginning his shift.


The same private bus company, KMB, was involved in Hong Kong's worst traffic crash, when 21 died and 20 were injured in 2003 after a double-decker bus crashed through a guardrail and down a hill after colliding with a truck.

Multiple survivors interviewed by the TVB and Cable TV news channels said the bus was going very fast.

At the crash scene yesterday morning, blood stains were visible on the ground along with police warning tape, used and unused bandages and several blood-soaked copies of racing news dated Feb 10, SCMP said. The top of the bus appeared to have been torn off, local media reported. He also called for action on the issue of Hong Kong drivers working too many hours.

Share