Colon took off his AirPods and put them on some workout equipment while he looked around for a member of staff.
An Apple spokesperson, in response to question for comment from Channel 8 News, said the company has launched an investigation into the incident and will reach out to Colton, accordingly.
A Florida man says one of his Apple AirPods started smoking as he was working out at a St. Petersburg gym.
The explosive problems arise when a battery undergoes thermal runaway, or when its structure gets damaged, causing an increase in temperature and release of energy. Colon told the TV station that "It was already popped". When he came back, Colon says, one of the pods had ruptured and was a charred mess.
Thankful that he removed the earbuds in time, Colon is now anxious about what could happen to other AirPod owners.
"I didn't see it happen, but I mean, it was already fried".
The first was that the battery components in the Galaxy Note 7 did not fit in the battery's casing. This is the first time we've heard of AirPods exploding, so it doesn't appear to be a widespread issue that would warrant a recall.
We've always been largely unimpressed with the quality of Apple's EarPods headphones, and were hoping to see a dramatic improvement in their standard following Apple's acquisition of Beats in 2014.
Apple told WFLA that it will work with Colon to investigate the incident. While it's one thing to have your smartphone catch fire while charging, having a device explode while inside of your ear represents a much scarier and unsafe scenario.
Overall, the audio standard and brilliant pairing and charging technologies make AirPods an attractive prospect for Apple fans looking to invest in new wireless headphones for use across the entire product range.