The White House says that President Donald Trump's tweet canceling a trip to London was in reference to a visit for the opening of the new USA embassy and that efforts to schedule a later state visit continue.
The State Department, however, announced plans for relocating the London embassy in 2008, while George W. Bush was still president, because of concerns about security following the September 11 terror attacks. Teams surveyed more than 50 sites before settling on the area of Vauxhall, south of the river Thames, for the new location, according to the statement.
A Trump visit has been on the cards since British Prime Minister Theresa May visited the United States a few days after Trump's inauguration previous year.
A model of US President Donald Trump from the Madame Tussaud's waxwork attraction more than four miles away was placed outside the new embassy building, due to open for business on January 16, after the president's announcement.
Trump is still due to make a state visit to the United Kingdom, following an invitation made by May when she visited him shortly after his inauguration.
Relations between the USA and its closest ally have been tested repeatedly since Trump took office nearly a year ago.
It had been expected that Trump would use the embassy visit to hold meetings with May.
Mr Johnson told MPs: "I think Her Majesty the Queen is well capable to of taking this American president - or indeed any American president - in her stride, as she has done over six remarkable decades". She suggested a formal visit could still, but offered no details. The uproar came after Trump re-tweeted three anti-Muslim videos posted by a leader of the far-right group Britain First - a tiny group that regularly posts inflammatory videos.
Hundreds have taken to social media to say Trump had backed out because he was "not welcome".
British Prime Minister Theresa May's Spokesperson Max Blain said Vauxhall is a vibrant part of London and "home to many businesses", and not an "off location" as Trump had described.
The mayor, a member of the main opposition Labour party, said there would have been "mass peaceful protests", and that it had been a "mistake" to invite him.
The exchange prompted further calls to dump the visit. "It seems he's finally got that message", tweeted Mayor of London Sadiq Khan.
The comment initially seemed to take No 10 by surprise and a spokesman initially dismissed the idea that Khan had damaged relations: "No, the U.S. and the United Kingdom are natural resilient strong partners and allies and we do more together than any two countries in the world". We will not allow US-UK relations to be endangered by some puffed up...