Texas man charged with murder in death of 3-year-old daughter


The father of a 3-year-old girl whose body was found near their suburban Dallas home less than a year after she was adopted from an Indian orphanage has been indicted on a capital murder charge by a grand jury. Wesley Mathews later changed his statement to say that she died after choking while he was forcing her to drink milk, following which he was arrested.

Her body was recovered from a culvert, a mile away from the Mathews' Richardson, TX, home on October 24.

The Medical Examiner's office ruled last week the toddler died of "homicidal violence".

Authorities haven't said what they believe happened to the girl, and court documents only allege that Mathews caused his daughter's death using a deadly weapon "by a manner and means unknown to the grand jury".

The India-born information technology professional has also been charged with two second degree felony offences: abandoning the child and for tampering with evidence.

Police have said they believe Sini Mathews was sleeping when the girl went missing October 7.

Sini Mathews has not been charged with any other charges at this time but has been indicted on the child abandonment charge.

Wesley Mathews is being held at Dallas County Jail with a $1,000,000 bond. Wesley Mathews initially told police Sherin disappeared after he punished her by sending her out in the night to stand by a tree near the home.

He later said that he had been trying to force her to drink milk as part of a special diet, which required her to eat whenever she was awake to gain weight - he said the child had developmental disabilities and was malnourished.

A phone message left by the news agency seeking comment from Mathews' attorney wasn't returned on Friday.

Mathews also reportedly told investigators that he "knew coyotes had been seen in the alley where he left his daughter".

When Dakil reported her findings to Sini Mathews, the mother said she disagreed with the findings and told the pediatrician that a report to Child Protective Services would "ruin her weekend", Dakil said.

Richardson Police Chief Jimmy Spivey said the case has been "very intensive" for his department. Details about her death are being withheld pending the continuing criminal investigation.