Delhi: Baby 'mistakenly declared dead' in private hospital dies within a week


In response to the Delhi government's report, Max Healthcare said in a statement, "We would like to thoroughly review the final report when we receive it before commenting".

On the way to cremate the babies' remains, the family was shocked to discover that the boy was still breathing inside one of the bags holding the newborns' bodies.

The baby's mother had given birth to twins, a boy and a girl, but the girl had been stillborn, according to CNN.

The police have registered a case of medical negligence against Max Hospital in Shalimarbag based on the family's complaint and an investigation is ongoing. But to their utter horror, the family found that the boy was still alive, while they were on way to do their final rites.

It sparked an outrage and the stunned family rushed the newborn to another hospital, where the doctors told the family that the baby is still alive.

According to Gupta, the baby died due to multiple organ dysfunction. Meanwhile, parents and members of Delhi Saansi Samaj are protesting outside Max Hospital demanding strict actions to be taken in this regard. I lived through the death of my daughter, and death of my son, not once but twice. While we understand that survival in extreme preterm births is rare, it is always painful for the parents and family.

"We wish to clarify that this action should not presuppose finding of any lapse by the expert group and should not be construed in any way to be anything other than an expression of our continued commitment to providing quality healthcare", said Max Healthcare in a statement. However, Dr Sanjeev Gupta of Aggarwal Hospital said that baby was of just 22 weeks and it was hard for him to survive from the start as he needed too much support.

On December 2, Delhi Health Minister Satyender Jain had said the hospital's licence could be cancelled if a probe found it guilty of medical negligence.

While addressing a Press conference, hours after the premature born boy born breath his last at a nursing home in Pitampura, jain said that on November 22, a notice was sent to Max Hospital for allegedly violating norms related to services to be given to EWS patients.