United States flies bombers over Korean peninsula with South Korean, Japanese fighter jets

Share

A pair of B-1B Lancers, American supersonic nuclear-capable bombers flying out of Guam, carried out their first joint nighttime mission with South Korea over the Korean Peninsula on Tuesday night.

The two B-1B bombers were accompanied by two F-15K fighters from the South Korean military after leaving their base in Guam, the South's Joint Chiefs of Staff said in a news release on Wednesday.

North Korea has launched two missiles over Japan and conducted its sixth and biggest nuclear test in recent weeks in defiance of U.N. sanctions as it races towards its goal of developing a nuclear-tipped missile capable of hitting the United States.

South Korean and United States government officials have been raising their guard against more North Korean provocations with the approach of the 72nd anniversary of the founding of North Korea's ruling party, which fell on Tuesday.

An unusually aggressive approach to the North by Trump, which has included rhetoric hinting at USA strikes and threatening the destruction of North Korea's leadership, has some South Koreans fearful that war is closer than at any time since the Korean War ended in 1953 in a shaky cease-fire, leaving the Korean Peninsula still technically in a state of war.

The US bombers had taken off from the Andersen Air Force Base in Guam.

Scott Aaronson, a top security official at the Edison Electric Institute, an industry trade group, said in a statement: "Phishing attacks are something that electric companies prepare for and deal with on a regular basis, often in coordination with security experts and industry stakeholders".


Jimmy Carter, the 93-year-old former USA president, has reportedly indicated that he is willing to travel to Pyongyang to meet North Korean dictator Kim Jong Un in an effort to head off a military clash in Northeast Asia.

Carter's track record will make him even more palatable to the North, as he stepped in previously, in 1994, when then-US President Bill Clinton was drawing up plans for an attack on North Korea's nuclear reactor at Yongbyon.

"The briefing and discussion focused on a range of options to respond to any form of North Korean aggression or, if necessary, to prevent North Korea from threatening the United States and its allies with nuclear weapons", the White House said in a statement on the meeting.

North Korea's "strategic forces, possessing inexhaustible strength not yet known to anyone, will not let America, an aggressor state, go unpunished", Ri continued.

A ministry spokesman declined to confirm the report, citing intelligence matters. China's influential Global Times tabloid expressed alarm at how far the rhetoric on both sides had gone and how it had increased the risk of a "fatal misjudgment". "It is also consistent with the view of many other members of the worldwide community to lessen, reduce or completely diminish any diplomatic relationship with North Korea". North Korea needs time and proof to believe that abandoning its nuclear programme will contribute to its own political and economic advantage.

Separately, the Navy said a US submarine that is capable of firing Tomahawk cruise missiles and torpedoes made a port call Saturday at the USA base in the South Korean city of Chinhae.

"In this region, we now have a joint task group which is traveling through. the region", she said.

Share