Four years after conviction, Talwars set free in Aarushi murder case


The Allahabad high court acquitted Rajesh and Nupur Talwar on Thursday of killing their daughter Aarushi and domestic help Hemraj in the double murder case of 2008.

Aarushi’s parents, Rajesh and Nupur Talwar released from jail.

The verdict ends a nine-year ordeal of the parents who were found guilty by a CBI court of murdering 14-year-old Aarushi. In a rare interview that Nupur Talwar had given from the jail almost two years back, Ms Talwar had spoken about her plans to work in the non-profit sector once she was released, whenever she was released.

The case has been under investigation for 9 years now.

Allowing the appeals the court was of the view that as per circumstances and evidence on record they can not be held guilty. I think this is what has happened in this appeal. He said nobody should experience what the Talwars had faced.

The three were later freed after no evidence was found against them. The agency has said it will take a call on appealing the high court's decision after it goes through the judgement.

The Talwars were convicted by a lower court in 2013 and sentenced to life in prison.

The Allahabad High Court is likely to pronounce the verdict at around 2 pm.

In his order, Additional Sessions Judge Shyam Lal had cited judgements of the Supreme Court to say that the mere fact that the prosecution had failed to "translate that mental disposition of the accused into evidence does not mean that no such mental condition existed in the mind of the assailant".

In May 2008, Aarushi was found dead by her parents at their residence in Noida with her neck slit. The body of the family's domestic help, Hemraj, who was initially suspected of her murder, was found in a pool of blood on the terrace the following day.

Former Jammu and Kashmir chief minister Omar Abdullah said today the police made a "total dog's breakfast" of the investigation in the Aarushi murder case.

Well that's nearly a decade and not enough time for CBI and Indian police to clear the murder case of a 14 year old, some twitteratis felt. It, however, added that there was insufficient evidence against them.