Police name fugitive Barcelona attack suspect

Share

It is believed Mr Rodriguez was walking with four other family members at the time of the attack.

Police in Spain and France continued their search Saturday for a 22-year-old Moroccan national whom they believe is at the center of Thursday's terror attack in Barcelona.

Besides the reinforcement of safety devices, additional measures also include an intensification of prevention in potential targets of terrorist attacks, reinforcement of the response devices to attacks and strengthened collaboration within relevant security bodies.

Before Thursday's attack, government data showed that police had arrested 11 suspected militants in the Barcelona area so far this year, more than anywhere else in Spain. Authorities fear the lone suspect on-the-run will try to cause as much violence as possible as he nears capture.

Meanwhile, in Spain the investigation has focused on a house in Alcanar, 200 kilometres (125 miles) down the coast from Barcelona.

When an explosion destroyed the house Wednesday night, killing one person and seriously injuring another - now arrested on suspicion of involvement in the attacks - it set in train a series of events culminating in the deaths of 13 people in Barcelona and one more in the town of Cambrils.

In Ripoll the apartment of an imam was raided on Saturday.

Spanish Interior Minister Juan Ignacio Zoido said the terror cell had now effectively been dismantled, with five suspects killed in Cambrils, four suspects in detention and up to two other members killed in Wednesday's explosion.

"The perpetrators of the attack wanted to kill and if they were unable to enter Las Ramblas, they would have done so elsewhere, and we can't put security barriers all over a city like Barcelona", she said.


Moussa Oukabir, who is said to be 17 or 18 years old, was suspected of using his brother's documents to rent the van which ploughed through pedestrians in the popular Las Ramblas shopping area. "Because of that, the attack in Barcelona and the one in Cambrils were carried out in a more rudimentary way than they had initially planned".

Moussa had been studying "normally" at school while Driss worked "honestly", he told the AFP news agency.

Back in Morocco, their father Said was in shock, with tears in his eyes when he was told of the news while at a wedding, surrounded by relatives.

Another three people have been identified but are still at large.

Police shot dead five attackers in Cambrils and said they were wearing fake explosive belts and had an axe and knives in the vehicle.

Three are Moroccan and one is Spanish, and none of them were previously known to security services for terror-related reasons.

According to a report in the Barcelona-based newspaper La Vanguardia, the attackers then emerged from the auto brandishing knives, machetes and axes.

The 61-year-old, from Zaragoza, north-east Spain, was with her husband and sister, who were both injured in the attack, according to Radio Television Espanola.

TATP was used in the November 2015 Paris attacks, the March 2016 Brussels bombings, the Manchester bombing in May and a failed bomb attempt by an Islamist extremist at the Gare Centrale in Brussels in June.

Share