Dani Moschella, public information officer for Delray Beach Police, said the child was unconscious when officers arrived and discovered the front doors of the auto were unlocked.
A one-year-old boy died Saturday after he was trapped for two hours inside a BMW that was parked outside his family's home in Florida.
Police found Khayden unconscious when they arrived at the scene and administered CPR.
A police spokeswoman told the newspaper that it wasn't clear how the child got into the auto.
The boy was then rushed to Bethesda Memorial Hospital where he was pronounced dead.
Khayden was just one month away from celebrating his second birthday.
Family say the devastated dad has been hit very hard by the tragedy.
The child's uncle, Carly Saint Saveur, claimed the vehicle was parked in the driveway with a dead battery. 'I'm scared for him'.
Experts say a child's body temperature rises up to five times faster than adults. According to reports, Florida warmed up to a high of 32 degrees on Saturday. On the day of the boy's death, temperatures were around 90 degrees.
Despite an ongoing investigation, Moschella said the incident appears to be an accident. The toddler was stuck inside a vehicle parked outside his family home. And his parents treated him really well'.