Charlie Gard's family vow 'fight is not over'

Share

Charlie's family face another gruelling High Court hearing tomorrow after a team of global experts said they had fresh evidence that the boy's life could be saved by an experimental new drug therapy.

Supporters say they will give the hospital a petition signed by 350,000 people backing the parents' rights to take the baby from the hospital for treatment. The British hospital treating a terminally ill baby boy said on July 7, 2017 it would examine claims that he could be treated after US President Donald Trump and Pope Francis drew worldwide attention to the case.

She added: "There is nothing to lose, he deserves a chance". There is an up to 10 per cent chance [of success] and we feel that is a chance worth taking.

In a joint statement, the USA lawmakers said: "Our bill will support Charlie's parents' right to choose what is best for their son, by making Charlie a lawful permanent resident in the United States in order for him to receive treatments that could save his life". The Vatican's children's hospital also offered to treat the child, but the move was barred by "legal reasons". "If he's still fighting, we're still fighting", Mr. Gard said.

It led to Charlie's doctors on Friday requesting a new High Court hearing to assess whether the boy's life should be spared.

"It gives [Charlie] a few more days and it means that the court can, in fact, rule that the hospital does not have the right, after all, to remove his ventilator and his feeding tube, and in fact should be transferred to another hospital to receive this cutting edge therapy or in fact even provide it right here", said Ms. Glenn-Foster.


The boy's parents are convinced that an experimental therapy, developed by a USA neurologist, may help their son recover some functions - even though it has never been tested on someone with Charlie's particularly severe form of the disease, known as mitochondrial DNA depletion syndrome.

Yates and Charlie's father, Chris Gard, spoke outside London's Great Ormond Street Hospital, where the baby is in intensive care and on life support.

An online campaign to send Charlie to the USA for treatment has raised more than 1.3 million pounds ($1.7 million).

Charlie's parents, both in their 30s and from Bedfont, west London, want to take their child to a hospital in the USA for experimental treatment. It had won a series of court rulings, most recently last week, authorising it to withdraw life support.

But, after a worldwide media storm over the case, global experts presented Charlie's family with new evidence that gave the baby a much higher chance of survival than previously thought.

The hospital said on Friday that it had not changed its view that Charlie had experienced "catastrophic and irreversible brain damage" and the experimental treatment, known as nucleoside therapy, "would be futile and would prolong Charlie's suffering".

Share