11 teens ill after eating drug-laced gummy bears

Share

A group from Fishers was hospitalized after they ate drug-infused gummy bears and became sick while camping in La Porte County on Wednesday. The male said his friends had also ingested the drug, and police located 10 more teens in a nearby home, WGN said.

LaPorte County police say the drug-infused gummy bears that landed 11 young people in the hospital Thursday night were about ten times larger than the well-known versions of candy.

All of them complained of rapid heart rates, pain in the legs, and blurred visions.

Authorities determined that each person had eaten one-half of some gummy bears that police believe were laced with THC. Police are now trying to determine where the sweets came from.

The EMS administrator, Andrew McGuire says, "Often times, especially in this case with a gummy bear, we have no idea what was in that and that's the case often times of some of these drugs that are ingested".


The La Porte County Sheriff's Office is investigating an incident that occurred just prior to midnight on Thursday July 7, 2017 involving several teens and narcotics. Deputy Justin Phillips was the first to arrive and found a 19-year-old male along the road.

He claimed to have ingested an unknown drug, and asked to be taken to the emergency room.

Police say lab tests at the hospital later showed the teens had high levels of THC in their system.

The 11 hospitalized included six males and five females, all 18 or 19 years old. The LaPorte County Drug Task Force has been contacted and is pursuing leads in the case. The matter will be reviewed by the La Porte County Prosecutor's Office to determine if any criminal charges will apply.

Share