Last week, Cristiano Ronaldo was accused by prosecutors in Spain of defrauding Spanish authorities of $16.4 million in tax between 2011 and 2014.
The prison term will be suspended as is common in Spain for first offences for non-violent crimes carrying a sentence of less than two years. Reports are now also claiming that Real Madrid is willing to pay the tax amount but the Real Madrid president also refuted this, saying that Ronaldo wouldn't want them to do so, The Guardian reported.
Luis Figo says "nobody is indispensable" amid heavy speculation that his compatriot Cristiano Ronaldo could leave Real Madrid.
Mourinho, who coached Real Madrid from 2010 to 2013, was accused of "two offences against the public treasury", the prosecutor's office said in a statement.
Perez confirmed that he meant to speak to Ronaldo in a bid to defuse his anger over his fraud charges, but it seems there is a viable option open to him if he is determined to make a move this summer.
Ronaldo is now under official investigation and will have to appear in the Pozuelo de Alarcon court No. 1 on July 31. As noted in the tweet above, AS's report is coming from someone close to Jorge Mendes, who is Ronaldo's agent.
A prosecutor said he did not declare income from the use of his image rights in order to get an "illicit benefit". The president of the Real Madrid said, "Cristiano or someone else has not given us any proposal yet".
The 54-year-old Mourinho, who coached Madrid from 2010-13, now coaches Manchester United. It will now be up to a judge to decide whether to take the matter to court. Atletico Madrid striker Radamel Falcao and Real Madrid defender Fabio Coentrao, who have also been accused of tax fraud in Spain, are also clients of Mendes.
Perez defended the 32-year-old, insisting the latest tax scandal to engulf one of football's biggest names was merely a "misunderstanding".
Barcelona star Lionel Messi was sentenced to a 21-month jail sentence and 2.09-million-euro fine past year for tax fraud.