White House Press Secretary Sean Spicer issued a statement on Monday that the United States "has identified potential preparations for another chemical weapons attack by the Assad regime that would likely result in the mass murder of civilians, including innocent children".
"That is why we do not think it is possible to lay the blame on the Syrian armed forces", Peskov said.
In an ominous statement issued with no supporting evidence or further explanation, Press Secretary Sean Spicer said the USA had "identified potential preparations for another chemical weapons attack by the Assad regime that would likely result in the mass murder of civilians, including innocent children". "The activities are similar to preparations the regime made before its April 4, 2017, chemical weapons attack", White House press secretary Sean Spicer said in a statement.
He said if Assad and his military launch another attack, they will "pay a heavy price".
Ali Haidar, the Syrian minister for national reconciliation, meanwhile dismissed a White House statement Monday that warned Syrian President Bashar Assad's government against carrying out another chemical attack. After the attack in April, Trump ordered 59 Tomahawk cruise missiles to be fired at the air base from which the attack originated.
The U.S. strike in April was the first direct American assault on the Syrian government and Trump's most dramatic military order since becoming president. Syria denied it carried out the attack.
The United States and other world powers have accused Assad's forces of repeatedly using chemical weapons to subdue rebels seeking to topple his government.
Assad said in an interview with the AFP news agency earlier this year that the alleged April attack was "100 percent fabrication" used to justify a US air strike.
The U.S. attack on a Syrian air base came after years of heated debate and deliberation in Washington over intervention in the bloody civil war.
Peskov criticized the Trump administration for using the phrase "another chemical weapons attack", arguing that an independent investigation into the April attack was never conducted despite Russia's calls for one.
But U.S. officials suspect that Syria kept some of its chemical weapons capabilities.
Two events in the past month - the shooting down by a United States plane of a Syrian Su-22 and the use of ballistic missiles by Iran against ISIS targets - are evidence of a scramble in eastern Syria that's been gathering pace since the beginning of the year.
The Pentagon says the USA has seen chemical weapons activity at the Syrian air base that was used for a sarin gas attack in April. "So if he is going to use chemical weapons again it would only be done if the Iranians want it to be done and with the permission of the Russians".
The White House offered no details on what prompted the warning and spokeswoman Sarah Sanders said she had no additional information.